Travel Expenses for haemodialysis patients

If you are a haemodialysis patient who travels regularly to the hospital or satellite unit for dialysis then you may be entitled to claim expenses if you travel by car or public transport.

The Trust will pay a mileage rate for you, the patient, or any friend or relative driving you from or to home for the purpose of dialysing (not other appointments). This can also be combined with the use of transport. For example you may get a lift to dialysis but come home by hospital transport.

The Trust will similarly pay reasonable public transport costs (bus, train etc) but not taxi costs.

To claim the expenses you will need to get a registration form and then submit monthly expense claim form. An electronic copy of the guidelines, claims process, registration form and expense claim for are all to be found here. Paper copies are available from Fiona Sinclair or Peter Wilson.

Even if you are not a dialysis patient attending a dialysis session you may be entitled to claim you travel expenses if you are on low income or benefits.