Holiday insurance

We've gathered together key sources to help you plan and insure you holidays as a renal patient. The National Kidney Federation (NKF), Kidney Care UK and Macmillan Trust have advice and a choice of insurers that we have linked to below.

For advice for patients with Chronic Kidney Disease try:

Kidney Care UK now has three deals in place, so if you haven’t had a look yet but would like to compare two options, these are the three to choose from:

All your comments are much appreciated them – a number of charities work on an affiliate basis with insurance companies but as this is a new area for Kidney Care UK who will be reviewing their arrangements on a regular basis and will report back to the companies they’re working with if they become aware of any areas for improvement.

General holiday advice

The following sites offer general holiday advice:

Healthcare cover abroad

The NHS will look after you if you get ill while on holiday in the UK. If you’re travelling you can apply for healthcare cover abroad (GHIC and EHIC). For most people, the UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC) replaces the existing European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for new applications. It entitles you to free or reduced-cost hospital treatment subject to the specific country terms. For those entitled to continued cover under the EHIC scheme you can find more information about it here: EHIC - European Health Insurance Card -

It’s a good idea to take out holiday health insurance in addition to carrying the GHIC/EHIC. Anyone with kidney disease should declare it as a pre-existing medical condition on standard insurance application forms. It may exclude you from some policies.